Skip to main content
Topic: Recorded video quality is very low (Read 3218 times) previous topic - next topic

Recorded video quality is very low

Hello,
I was testing recording video and the image and audio was terrible. File says 1920x1080 at 60fps, but bit rate was like 2000. The YouTube test stream was great however. I seen this issue in the forum from a prior version and it was resolved in a later version. Anyone else having this issue? I'm on Windows 11 and using the most recent version of splitcam.
Thanks

Re: Recorded video quality is very low

Reply #1
Hello
What version of splitcam do you use?

Reply #2
I am using 10.5.62 x64.

Reply #4
Hmm, still getting the lower quality.

Reply #5
The issue of low bitrate during recording is addressed in newer versions of SplitCam. It will become available in public releases after version 10.5.81. To request a prerelease version please contact me by sending a private message or in Skype or Telegram using @smelkov user name.
Toto,
SplitCam development and support team.

Reply #6
with 10.5.92 video quality is still poor - it only has 1077 kbit/s, audio bitrate is 45 kbit/s

Why is there no settings for the save video ?

Reply #7
Hi,

Thank you for taking time to report the problem. I agree with the sound quality — it's too low in the recorded video. Actually I've already taken care of it and it'll be at normal 192 kbit/sec with the next program release. It was a bug that we've missed during testing.

As for the picture quality let me explain. The compression used during creation of recorded video is adaptive. This means that we don't store more information than is necessary to deliver a high quality output. The bitrate for different sources will not be the same: for completely black screen the bitrate will be minimal and for highly dynamic scenes it might grow very high.

Here are some examples. The first is the information about the video with completely black screen. It has the video bitrate of only 55 kb/sec which is enough to paint every frame black.

The second one is the video created from a static image. The bit bitrate is considerably larger: 3910 kb/s.

And the last one is the recording of a video file. It has the largest bitrate of the three: 6621 kb/s.

Though these files have different bitrate all of them deliver a very high quality picture. Take a look and compare: can you the difference between original image and the one taken from the video file recorded with SplitCam?

Have a great day!
Toto,
SplitCam development and support team.

Reply #8
Thank you for your detailed answer and fixing that bug - so waiting for the next release.

I totally get your point about VBR and are looking forward to the next release to test it.
Thanks!