Skip to main content
Topic: Splitcam Memory Leak Issue (Read 6036 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitcam Memory Leak Issue

I am using Splitcam 10.4.66 x64 beta. It appears to be causing a memory leak. It is slowly consuming more and more memory (starts around 200MB and then grows to over 4GB until it crashes). What other information do you need?

The system is an HP Spectre x360 14" 2020. The camera is a Canon EOS 6D using the EOS Webcam driver.

What can I do to help resolve this. I am a huge fan of splitcam - but right now it crashes :(.

Re: Splitcam Memory Leak Issue

Reply #1
The link is useless. I have had splitcam on for up to 2 hours and have never had a crash or a spike in memory. I do a lot of sharing of  different windows on my PC when I'm doing a live stream and I never see mine go over 120 mb. I run Wndows 10 PRO 20H2 with splitcam 10.4.66

Reply #2
I am using Splitcam 10.4.66 x64 beta. It appears to be causing a memory leak. It is slowly consuming more and more memory (starts around 200MB and then grows to over 4GB until it crashes). What other information do you need?

The system is an HP Spectre x360 14" 2020. The camera is a Canon EOS 6D using the EOS Webcam driver.

What can I do to help resolve this. I am a huge fan of splitcam - but right now it crashes :(.

Can you send to us more information:
what media layers you added?
how many scences?
what effects do you use?
and can you repeat your issue and send to us log file ( you can view log by clicking on splitcam menu / view log)

thank you

Reply #3
First - thank you for jumping in... This software is GREAT. Sorry for the long note. Let me know if I can provide any more info?

Thank you for the response. I have also been taking an updated screen capture of the issue.

The only layer I have added is "EOS Webcam Utility". I have added an image to ensure that I understood the question correctly.

I have 2 scenes. The behavior is the same with only one scene.

There are two videos of the issue (screen captures). One is a zoom-in of the other.
https://youtu.be/5nQlfUKcUjk (zoom in)
https://youtu.be/_2kEqinfebI (includes full view of Splitcam)

I am using zoom and flip vertical and a bit of rotate. I believe I was using some skin smoothing and contrast reduction... I had experimented with some of the LUTs in the past, not using at this time.  BUT, read below - it may point to the LUTs as the issue??? Maybe?

Other notes:
- This has worked well for me in the past, so not sure what "changed". I have a new PC, but honestly can't recall for sure if it started happening with the new computer. I could also have a difference version of Splitcam now - also not sure.
- The memory increase happens any time I am viewing the stream - even if that is only in splitcam itself (e.g. I don't have to have a "receiving" application like Zoom to Teams receiving the stream).
- When I stop the EOS webcam stream (e.g. switch to my other scene or unplug the camera) - the memory use stops increasing (but does not go back down)
- If I DELETE the scene with the EOS webcam (after viewing the stream), the memory usage DOES go back down immediately to ~137MB.
- I also have a Logitech camera - and memory usage doesn't keep increasing when that stream is active. If memory usage was already high (due to viewing the EOS webcam stream), it DOES NOT go down when switching to the logitech stream (unless, I delete the EOS stream as above).

So - to test - I deleted the stream for EOS and re-added. Here are the steps:

1) Add EOS Webcam stream -> no increase in memory utilization (video upside down and not zoomed :))
2) Add flip-vertical -> no increase in memory utilization (video right side up :))
3) Add small rotation (to level video) -> no increase in memory utilization
4) zoom video -> no increase in memory utilization
5) Added skin smoothing, slight contrast reduction -> no increase in memory utilization
- At this point, frustrated because it wasn't happening again and I thought I had "destroyed" the failure...
6) Just for fun - added LUTs (starting with Blackhawk down and clicking on several). Bingo... memory utilization started climbing fast. It continued to climb after I chose "original" and "save and close". It went up past 3.2GB (until I switched scenes at which point it stuck at 3.2GB). - NOW, it climbs any time I use the EOS stream...
7) Deleted EOS scene (memory utilization returns to normal)
So - I thought I had it figured out... deleted EOS scene again...
8). Created new scene, added EOS -> memory utilization began to go up rapidly (hmmm. didn't expect that)
9) Deleted EOS scene, closed Splitcam and reopened (one scene, no layers)... -> memory is good.
10) added EOS layer, rapid increase in memory.
11) delete eos layer
11) rebooted...
12) open splitcam again (one scene, "your scene is empty") -> only consuming 38MB of memory
13) Add EOS camera -> memory starts climbing rapidly??? Hmm. Can't get back to "good" state.

I have attached logs. You can see the increase happening in log1 upto about 400MB. It would keep going if I didn't stop viewing that stream. You can also see it go over 2GB in log 3.

Let me know what else you need.

Reply #4
Another item ... even if I "hide" the steam with the "eyeball" next to the layer name, the memory continue to climb.
If I "pause" the layer, memory usage stops climbing.
If I delete the layer (or the stream), memory usage immediately goes back to normal.

When viewing the "Add Camera" dialog, memory usage climbs slowly (much more slowly then after I add the EOS as a layer). I watched it climb from < 100MB up to 1.2GB.

It does not seem to mater if the streams are visible (e.g. behind another window) or if splitcam has focus.

For reference, I am using EOS Webcam Utility 1.1.4 to connect a Canon EOS 6D.

Reply #5
ok I tried it with the cannon EOS R5 then my webcam EOS web utility is causing the problem with my Logitech webcam there is no leak.  Maybe a update to spiltcam can fix it but I think it's Cannon's utility causing the problem with splitcam 

Reply #6
@Damo - I was thinking the same. Would the EOS driver's memory usage roll up under Splitcam? It may as I don't see a separate process for the EOS webcam in task manager.

I also ran Zoom and just let it run with the EOS Webcam source selected and it does not cause a similar issue - so even more perplexing :). Could be using a different mode or something (I know nothing about webcam drivers and Windows video streams) and I haven't written code since Pascal was cool :). BUT if you need some mean Borland Pascal, just let me know!

LMK if there's anything else I can test. I was trying to find the beta version of the EOS drivers from earlier this year, but no luck so far.

BTW - do you like the R5? I am thinking of going mirrorless.

Marcus

Reply #7
Next I want the Sony Alpha a9 II Mirrorless Digital Camera A buddy of mine has it and it rips my cannon R5 in every way the quality usability setting it up with  your pc/mac/linux is way easier so That will be my next camera

Reply #8
Is it possible to download previous versions of splitcam? I believe it worked marvelously earlier in the year.

Marcus

Reply #9
On the download page, you can download previously splitcam versions.

Reply #10
@Nickolay - Thank you. I must be doing something wrong. The download page only shows me 10.4.66 https://splitcam.com/download (image attached) and the "old versions" page only has older versions such as version 8.x. Can I download older versions of 10.X?

Screen shots attached. Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

Marcus

Reply #12
Thanks @Damo. I went back to 10.4.39 and still had the issue. So the only thing I can think of now is that the BETA version of the Canon Webcam utility may have worked correctly. I will try to find that somewhere (no longer on Canon website).

So - seems to work if I use the Canon straight thru Zoom, Teams, etc. But memory usage grows when using splitcam. Splitcam works great when not using Canon webcam driver. So some kind of interaction btwn splitcam and Canon webcam driver is my guess.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Would LOVE to be able to make it work - but I am sure you have lots of development priorities. BTW - I am impressed with Splitcam. It's a nice piece of software from what I presume is a small team. Nice work.

Marcus

Reply #13
AHA - the 32-bit version works great! I will let it run for a couple of hours, but I am pretty sure it's good.

Marcus

Reply #14
When we release the next update, be sure to try it.